Tired of the same old wall decor? Check out this tutorial on how to make your own paper flowers to spruce up any room in your house! With just a few supplies and some simple steps, you can transform your walls into something truly beautiful.
What You Will Need
-A4 size paper
-Paper clip or drawing pin
-Optional: coloured pencils, watercolour paints, or any other decorative materials.
1. Start by folding your A4 paper in half lengthways. Then fold it in half again. Unfold the paper and you should now have four equal sections.
2. Cut along the folded lines to create four separate strips of paper.
3. Take one strip of paper and fold it in half lengthways. Make a cut about 1cm from the end of the strip, but don’t cut all the way through – leave a small tab at the end uncut.
4. Open up the strip of paper and make a series of cuts along the top edge, making sure not to cut the tab at the end. These cuts will create the ‘petals’ of your flower.
5. Once you’ve made all your cuts, gently open up the strip of paper and start curling each petal upwards with your fingers. If you want, you can secure each petal in place with a small amount of glue.
6. To make the centre of your flower, take another strip of paper and fold it in half lengthways. Make a cut about 1cm from the end of the strip, but don’t cut all the way through – leave a small tab at the end uncut.
7. Open up the strip of paper and make a series of cuts along one side, making sure not to cut the tab at the end.
8. Once you’ve made all your cuts, gently open up the strip of paper and start curling each ‘petal’ upwards with your fingers. If you want, you can secure each petal in place with a small amount of glue.
9. To assemble your flower, take your first ‘petal’ strip and glue one end to the centre of your second ‘petal’ strip. Wrap the first strip around the second strip and continue gluing until you reach the end.
10. Trim off any excess paper and secure the end with a small amount of glue.
11. Your flower is now complete! You can make as many flowers as you like and arrange them however you want. If you want, you can also decorate your flowers with coloured pencils, watercolour paints, or any other materials you have.
Step One: Making the Flower Template
Start by finding a paper flower template online or in a craft book. Once you have your template, Trace it onto the cardstock of your choice. I used regular white cardstock for my flowers, but you could also use patterned or textured paper for a more interesting look.
After you have traced your template onto the cardstock, cut it out with a sharp pair of scissors. If you are using multiple colors of cardstock, cut out all of the pieces for one flower before moving on to the next color.
Now that all of your flower parts are cut out, it’s time to start assembling them!
Step Two: Cutting Out the Flowers
Now that you have your template printed out, it’s time to cut out the individual flowers. Be very careful when cutting around the outer edge of the flower, as you don’t want to accidentally cut off any petals.
Once you have all of your flowers cut out, it’s time to start assembling them. Take one flower and gently bend back all of the petals. This will give the flower some dimension and make it look more realistic.
Repeat this process with all of your flowers until they are all assembled. Then, it’s time to start attaching them to the wall.
Step Three: Assembling the Flowers
Now that you have all of your materials, it’s time to start assembling your flowers. Begin by hot gluing the base of the flower (the larger circle) to the center of the paper doily.
Then, glue the petals (the smaller circles) around the base, slightly overlapping each one. Finally, glue the stem (the green strip) to the back of the flower. Repeat this process for each flower.
Once all of your flowers are assembled, it’s time to start attaching them to the wall. Begin by finding a starting point and attaching the first flower with hot glue.
Then, continue adding flowers in a random pattern until the entire wall is covered. Be sure to vary the sizes and colors of the flowers for a more interesting display. And that’s it! Your paper flower wall decoration is complete!
Step Four: Hanging the Flowers
After you have your flowers all cut out and ready to go, it’s time to start hanging them up! You can use tape, string, or even putty to adhere them to the wall in any design you like. Be creative and have fun with it!
Once you have your flowers hung up, step back and enjoy your work of art!
Paper flowers make a beautiful and unique addition to any home decor. They are easy to make, and can be customized to match any color scheme or style. If you’re looking for a fun DIY project, paper flowers are a great option. With just a few supplies and some simple instructions, you can create your own gorgeous paper flower wall decoration.